Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lucky 3

I haven't blogged in over a year.  I tend to just facebook.  It's quicker and easier and right on my phone.  But since the majority of the people out there don't really care about my personal stuff, I'm going to try to blog more regularly.

Let me start this out by saying that I've always hated running.  Really, really hated it.  It's hard, time-consuming, makes my make-up run, makes me sore....  The only reason I started running was because all of my friends were doing it.  Jessie Shamie, Francoise Malek, Holly MacEwen, Kim Deibel, & Jamie Archambeau. It seemed like a semi-social after work activity so what the hell.  It was at the very least a good way to lose the baby weight first after having Claire, then when I really needed to after having Finn.  So that's how I started down this weird path.  Let's see where this road takes me...

I've decided this is my year.  My Lucky 3 Year.  I'm going to run 13.1 miles the day before my 33rd birthday in 2013.  Last year, I struggled to run a 7K and never dreamt that I could go a single step past that.  Nor did I care to try.  But things changed last October.  I was training for my end of season 5K when my fellow Moms On The Run (henceforth known as MOTR) peer-pressured me into a 10K.  Well maybe not peer-pressure but strong convincing.  So in less than 4 weeks, I went from my usual 5K to a 10K.  I went into it with a fairly negative attitude.  "I just want to cross the finish line under my own power".  "What doesn't kill me will make me a bit stronger - right?"  These were the only things I could think of.  So each week before hand I added one mile to my runs (and actually stuck to running 3 x's a week).  I thought this would kill me.  I thought I would take long walk breaks.  I had so little faith in my body that the first time I ran 4 miles WITHOUT stopping to walk, I considered taking everyone to the bar to celebrate.  I had no idea that I could do that.  So to make sure it wasn't a total fluke, I did it again a couple days later.  I was even slightly faster!  Holy crap.  This must be that training thing everybody talks about.  I never thought I had an ounce of athletic ability in my body.  But ever-so-slightly I began to see what can happen when you just quit bitching & give 'er a shot.  Who knew?!  So I made it to the 10k and finished almost 7 minutes before my goal.  I was by no means speedy but I managed to run the entire thing with a 10:22 pace.  If you would have asked me one month prior, I would have scoffed at the idea. 

So that brings me to this week.  I took two months off of running.  Our schedule has been hectic to say the least this winter.  Also, this is Tim's season to shine as our star athlete in broom ball.  I attempted my first official run of the season on my "dreadmill" to disastrous results.  So bad that I went upstairs and broke into a box of Girl Scout Cookies.  Ugh.  I complained about my horrid start on Facebook and that's when all of my wonderful MOTR peeps spoke up and propped me up.  They "convinced" me to join the Polar Club and brave the winter-in-Minnesota-elements with them.  So I did.  And I survived much to my surprise.  So I will be running at least once a week outside from here on out.  Today I got myself re-acquainted with my ol' buddy Billy Blanks.  I did his "Ripped Extreme" work out which is a mild form of self-induced torture.  Or at least it is right now.  It should get easier.  Right? Right???  And according to my new Polar Heart Rate Monitor, I burned 689 calories (thanks Mom for the awesome gift!). 

I'm going to take training seriously for the first time in my life.  I'll start with a 5K next weekend, a 7K for St. Paddy's day, Minneapolis Marathon Relay (looking like my leg will be about 9 miles), and then Grandma's Half Marathon June 20 (that's assuming that we make the lottery).  Then I'll scatter some 5K's around there and possibly do the Medtronic Twin Cities 10 Miler. 

I'm mostly blogging about all of this for personal reasons.  To keep me accountable and to keep me honest.  I'm really REALLY bad about correspondence so it will be a small miracle if I can actually keep it up. If this is the only entry that is read, that's cool. Wish me luck.  Leave me advice.  Pointers, tips & encouragement are all greatly appreciated. Here or on Facebook.  The only thing that has gotten me this far in my journey is the support from old friends, new friends, & my family.  Thank you Tim and thank you Claire.  Your belief in me has been perfect. 

Alright, I'm done rambling now.  The Grammy's are on and Okee Dokee Brothers are nominated for Best Children's album. Cheers!

KJ


2 comments:

Unknown said...

You may not consider yourself a half marathoner. You may not consider yourself a runner. You may not even consider yourself an athlete. No matter what you think, your actions will always speak louder than your doubts. I have watched you over the last few years become all that you never thought you could be. The best of all is that you have become something more - an inspiring role model for our daughter who lights up with joy every time she sees you run. Keep up the great work and remember - your cheering squad will be there for any bumps you encounter in the road.

Jessica said...

Wow, what a comment Tim! I sure can't compete with that. However, I completely agree. Kelly, you are only limited by what you think you can't do. You have grown into an inspirational runner and I'm so excited to run with you this year! You are inspiring me to get going lately....so get going I shall. Way to go and I'm looking forward to seeing you complete your first 1/2! Look out 2013, 2 hot mamas are in training!

Post a Comment